Thursday, November 20, 2008

Remembering the past and the Present..

Silver medal

Annual Cross Country C’Ships 2003 Team Lower sec boys.. I was in secondary 2 then..if i did not remember wrongly it was a 4.2km run... I got this medals not because I run really fast but cos the other of my teammates run really fast.. anyway.. it’s a medal I got..


Next up another medal..

12th annual track and field meet 2005: inter CCA boys- 4X100m relay 3RD

Well I represented my CCA the NCC for this event of cos.. I should say I had too.. well this time I really did run my hearts out.. its only 100m but I gave it my all.. I was sec 4 then.. well this is the only 2 medals I got for sporting events during my secondary school life… I wasn’t really into such events.. I cared more about my CCA..



oh wait.. there is one more.. inter class chin up competition.. I don’t know how we did it.. but the book worm class of mine actually got either 2nd or 3rd among our sec 3 classes.. there’s unity in strength.. I contributed 14 pull ups to the many many pull ups my class guys did… well, we did have the support of our class girls and our form teacher who was there to cheer us on.. sad to say, I have not been keeping my physical condition at its peek.. now I do 10 pull up also got problem… its time to start training harder??




and man.. my ankle is really a pain in the neck.. i still have pains when i put stress on my ankle and now it hurts everytime it starts to get cold...







CCA Awards

Annual Speech and Prize giving 2005: Merit Award (Individual) Kho Yi Sheng, Joel NCC



I cant really remember what this award was for..i cant believe it… I think its for what I have done during my time as a leader in NCC.. strange.. I actually did forget what this award was for.. omg…


This award I would say would be one of the most memorable award I have taken during my secondary school days..


Outstanding Cadet Award 2005

KHO YI SHENG JOEL

HONG KAH SECONDARY SCHOOL

3 April 2005

For excellent service and contribution to the NATIONAL CADET CORPS



Its was an honour to be able to receive this award at the indoor stadium on the 3rd of April 2005… its been more then 3 years since I got this award.. and yet I still fondly remember the event which unfold on that day.. we were to meet outside school as the event was on a Sunday and school was closed.. we met and after everyone has arrived we left for the indoor stadium.. when I arrived there, my CO told me the ask me to wait at the entrance on the indoor stadium, apparently he did not know I was supposed to report at the stage for some rehearsals prior to the actual award presentations as we had to know when to go up the stage and stuff…



And when I finally did arrive at the stage after opening my mouth to ask some guy in uniform I was told I was late.. and I apologise and told them I was not informed of this arrangement.. so they gave me some brief instructions and to watch and see what the others did.. and so the waiting game begin.. there’s was the talk which I find familiar to the first time I attended this event which was called the Affirmation Ceremony which was held like to “swear” in all the newly join sec 1s to the NCC and the give out the awards.. but the feeling and emotions I had within was different the second time I was there.. the first time I was there I was a recruit my uniform was bright green anyone could tell that it was new.. innocent as I was in sec one.. the second time I was there, I returned with the rank of Master Sergeant, to receive and award..



well, it’s not about the awards part, ya there is some part about getting the award, its like one of the most prestigious award you could receive when you are in secondary school.. you would have to clear your school teachers, I means get selected by them.. then go down to the NCC HQ for an interview with some high ranking officer.. then if they think you deserve the award then you get it.. and only 70 plus cadets were given the award each year.. so there is about 160 secondary schools in Singapore and multiply that number by 100 which is the average size of a company, you’ll get the picture on how hard it is to have this award.. its 4 years of hard work…



the words which were spoken then was heart warming I would say.. and this time when I heard the speech it felt close to heart.. it’s the feeling of I have been there and done that.. and I would reflect the times when I was just a recruit and slowly working my way up.. well, those were the good old days.. memories of the times I spent with my NCC mates will never forgotten.. I should say its hard to forget.. all the shit we gone through power struggle and all.. I believe that made me who I am today.. I know I’m going to have the very same feeling I got back in 2005 when I go to army next year.. I sort of hated that feeling… well that’s life… all good things come to a close.. but what remains are the memories which you will take away.. the lessons you have learnt, the mistakes which you made, all this will make you stronger..

my hockey coach once said.. what doesn’t kills you makes you stronger.. its not really the phrase to use in this context but its along the same line.. if you get wat I mean..



oh.. one more thing.. during the award presentations there was some slight problems and when my name was read out.. I was not the one I went out the get the award.. then my NCC mates were like telling me after the ceremony.. when they read my name out they clap like crazy then.. wth.. one girl come up the stage.. haha.. its was really funny.. apparently they got the names a little messed up and some of the awards were given to the wrong people..haha..


More picture of the award I received…



This was the certificate which was given along with the award..


This was the Membership Certificate which I received on the day I got my o’level results.. it reads MSG KHO YI SHENG JOEL of HONG KAH SECONDARY SCHOOL BOYS’ UNIT/CENTRE has served in the NCC (LAND) from 02-Jan-02 to 31-Dec-2005



Remarks:

He is the USM. He has excels in his performance as an instructor. He has led his peers and junior cadets by his exemplary examples and excellent leadership qualities. He was awarded the Outstanding Cadet Award for leading the unit.

Remarks from my CO CPT Ng Boon Teck


This is secondary school leaving certificate from my school..

Remarks are as follows:

Kho Yi Sheng Joel is a capable and diligent pupil. He has attained the rank of Master Sergeant in the National Cadet Corps and has also represented school in academic competitions. He fully deserves the Outstanding Cadet Award from the National Cadet Corps HQ as he is indeed a dedicated and disciplined leader who leads by example, demonstrating excellent personal mastery. He is a steady and reliable worker who would be an asset to any organisation.

Remarks from my form teacher for sec 3 and sec 4 Ms Teo Juin Ee



Rewind 2 years to 2006 when I got my o’level cert.. when I saw the remarks given by my CO and Form teacher.. I was proud and wanted the whole world to know of how good I am…



Back to the present, when read the remarks given by them I’m truly humbled.. I never really had the chance to thank my teachers back when I was in secondary school.. I still visit them every year during the teachers day period.. but I would have to thank my form teacher Ms Teo Juin Ee for everything she has done for my class and me.. she is one of the best teacher I ever had.. so much so that I would dare to say this.. if not for her words of encouragement and how she inspired me.. I might not be what I am today.. she has thought me throughout my 4 years in secondary school.. she has thought me everything I needed to know then.. I still remember the book she gave our whole class My bowl of hei bee hiang Rice.. when she was the form teacher of my class in sec 3.. and in every single one of the 41 books(my class had 41 people) she wrote this:


A picture of the book..



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Who so neglects learning in his youth loses the past and is dead for the future.”

-Euripides(485-406 B.C) Greek Playwright


“A good education consist on giving to the body and to the soul all the beauty and all the perfection of which they are capable.”

-Plate (427-347 B.C) Student of Socrates and Teacher of Aristotle


Dear Joel,

Always be Alive. Live passionately.

Have Confidence in your Capacity to Learn.

Imagine, Dream & Aspire for Great Things.

Be caring & Compassionate to All.


There’s only one Joel in this world…

Be all that ‘you-uniquely’ are!


With love.

Ms Teo Juin Ee

Hong Kah Sec School

3A 25th July 2004

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I’m not lying that she wrote it in all 41 of the books.. if I could I will take a photo of every single one for the books to prove that she did write every single one of them



Yes.. she wrote the same whole thing on the first page of all 41 books which she gave to our class.. which teacher would go to such extend to do this for her students… my form teacher did it.. despite her busy schedule.. she wrote on the books and then carried all 41 of them to class for us.. its not very light in case you don’t know its 41 books.. then in sec four she gave us a class t-shirt which she designed.. which all our names and teachers names on it.. its one of the most unique class t-shirt I have ever got.. and I don’t think anyone would be able to do that..


The small print on the corner of the shirt is partly in sign language.. which meant 4A-HKSS-2005


On the back of the shirt: our individual names and names of our classmates printed along the bonsai plant and on the flower pot the word “Character”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the top right the names of my teachers:

Cheng CY

My English teacher- someone who brought our class much closer together by forcing us to plan and carry out class outings


Chong CH

My A.maths and E.maths teacher/co-form teacher- without her I would not have done so well for maths in secondary school and poly.


Choong ML

My biology teacher- she left us half way to take care of her baby how noble.. she was one fantastic teacher, her method of teaching though sometimes we felt that she was really strict, our results show how great a teacher she was.


Er SF

My physic teacher- if not for her I would not have done so well in my engineering course in poly.. I remember that I had top the class for some of her physics papers and I took pure physics during the o’levels.. sadly I did not manage to get A1 for the paper which I said I would.


Lee KK

My social studies teacher- he is now teaching at RGS, that’s how good he is.. I still remember that all the topics he guess would come out during o’levels did not come out and so i did not have a clue no how to answer the questions during my o’levels.. I don’t blame him. He’s not the one who set the paper he cant predict the future.. but he thought us the skills on how to tackle those questions..


Taffy S

My PE teacher- nothing much I can say about him, we only had PE lessons once a week.. but I should still thank him..


Tay SM

My Chemistry teacher- I still remember I was always punished for talking too much during her class..haha.. but that’s the fun of having a class of 41.. I miss those times…


Teo JE

My Geography/ Form teacher- she is the one who played a very important role during my secondary school life.. she is now studying at NIE to further improve herself to be a better teacher.. she often shares her life experience with us, to motive and encourage us.. I don’t know how I can thank her.. though I might not remember all of what she said.. but the things she said made an impact on my life.. though she might be really strict and firm at times but its for our own good…


Wong CL

My chemistry teacher- I really did not like the way he taught us chem. But well I’ll still like to thank him… oh ya.. I still remember.. haha.. he used to make us do push ups when we were not seated when he came into the class..haha..


Wong FY

My biology teacher- she’s one pretty teacher, and she’s now happily married.. being a new teacher when she first taught us we often bullied her, I remembered once she got really angry.. but she still does her best to teacher us biology.. answering all our questions relevant or irrelevant…


Yeo WL

My English teacher- I seriously feel bad for getting C6 for my English despite Mrs Yeo being such a fantastic English teacher..


Yeo YY

My PE teacher- I remember once we had a stay over in school and someone got hurt, he then offered to stay over as well just in case anything went wrong cos there was only my form teacher who was there..


On the bottom right she wrote:

What is Character?

In the home, it is kindness;

In business, its honesty;

In society, it is courtesy;

In work, its it thoroughness;

In play, it is fairness.


Towards the fortunate, it is congratulation;

Toward the weak, it is help;

Toward the wicked, it is resistance;

Toward the strong, it is trust;

Toward the penitent, it is forgiveness;

And toward God, it is reverence and love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These words didn’t make much sense when I was in sec 4.. I guess I was too young and immature to understand it.. today as I read this again.. it made more sense.. and the words go down to the very ends of my heart.. if I would have understood the meaning of this then.. I believe I would have been a much better person now.. readers remember the words said by my teacher.. it might not make any sense to you now.. but it will, one day you will understand...



All in all, I would like to thank Ms Teo for what she have done and the many other teachers who played a pivotal role during my formative years…






Now… you might be wondering why I made such a post out of a sudden… here’s the reason…..


The Third Year Assembly for the school of EEE.. which is my school..


time flies... with a blink of an eye i will be completing my poly diploma with about 9 weeks of semester time.. i cant believe it actually..
a speech by the EEE director Dr Dave Chong.. it was sort of a farewell to us.. something like that..
performance my sp guitar club..
a speech by former sp students Mr patrick liew i hope i get his surname right.. well, his speech was fairly close to heart.. wat he said made sense.. and it was sort of a reminder for me to what my secondary school teachers have told me.. only that he convayed it in a different way..
this is the main topic of todays post.. i sort of took a really long time to reach it...


well, today i went on stage to collect an award for acedamic performance during my second year in poly.. i thought i will not get the jitters.. but.. i was wrong... once they signal for us to prepare to receive the award, my heart beat shot up.. adrenline is doing its work..



if i were to tell me secondary school teachers that i did get such an award, i believe that they will be shock.. i was never an acedamic student when i was in secondary school.. you can tell from the remarks given by my teachers.. almost all of it was about my CCA.. i should have studied harder.. its strange.. i dont know why or i should say how come am i studying so hard, i will say the hardest i have ever studied in my life before.. but i guess this is part and parcel of life..


the stress of having to perform acedamically in poly is getting to me.. i'm not boasting about my results here... in year 1 my cum gpa was 3.81.. year 2 sem 1-3.86 sem2-3.89.. year 3 sem 1-3.91.. sem2- i dont know yet..


as you can see.. i did really well for all my sems.. having the perfect gpa of 4 for 2 semester running.. well wat you dont see is the pressure that i'm under.. for me last sem i have to get gpa 4.. if not then all my hard work from year 1 till now will go down the drain.. this is how stressful the situation i am in now.. some of you might be thinking gpa so high very good wat.. stress wat.. well you'll have to be in my shoes to understand.. its not something i can relate too.. remember i was not a very good student in secondary school... i hope i will not fail to achieve my dream to guaduate with a COM.. nono.. i should say i will achieve my dream to guaduate with a COM.. i can do it.. MST is in 11days time, i need to start studying.. Godspeed..
guess who this jester is..
well, he's one of the lecturers'..
this is wat i received.. Nihon Kohden Price.. Nihon Kohden is an american company which deals with medical stuff if i did not remember it wrongly..


to end off.. do remember what my form teacher said about learning...
hope for the future.. a better tml.. lets make to world a better place for you and for me..


only time will tell, i'll prove this all wrong..........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home